Rewiring Reality

 Rewiring Reality

It's fascinating how we, as the most developed creature, have this understated influence that shapes our own reality. Psychology has always intrigued me, but unfortunately, I never had the chance to study it formally. Despite not being able to have the opportunity, my curiosity for this subject is consistent. 

Those who I do classes with know that I always choose to sit in the front seat of a class. The reason may not be what you're thinking. In spite of having perfectly fine audio-visual capacity, I prefer to sit in the 1st row. Choosing a front-row seat as a means of enacting revenge! Doesn’t it sound weird? Furthermore, an interesting question lingers, who might be the target of this revenge? You will find it out in a while!

Let's continue with another question. Have you ever had negative voices in your mind that constantly demean you? Almost like bullies? That convinces you that you're in fact a loser, a failure. I think negative and dark thoughts made us prisoners of our minds. All the things we could do properly became so hard to accomplish as negativity permeates our daily life. Our thoughts made us our enemies. We question every step we take in life. We falter and our mind refuses to try again, instead, it says “You belong here”. It suffocates our inner peace and controls our actions like we’re a slave to it. I have experienced this paralyzing destructive thinking. Subsequently, I have realized that these negative thoughts have a significant impact on my limitations and setbacks.


Do thoughts, emotions, and behavior have a connection?


There is a study on cognitive psychology referred to as the “Baader-Meinhof phenomenon" or Frequency illusion that describes how the perspective of reality is affected by one's constant thinking. When I first came across this study it immediately clicked, realizing it was not my inability that dragged me down in life but my own thinking. When I consistently believe that I am worthless, I begin to only see all the possible actions that are related to my unworthiness. While it is true that I cannot excel at every aspect of life, those thoughts alter my mindset by consistently unveiling the altered reality. Which ultimately leads me to do all the wrong things. 


The thoughts controlled me so much that I knew there had to be a way to combat them. Why not play an uno reverse card? Taking control over your reality by taking action which changes your mindset. Fake the action just how fake voices in your head are and make it into a reality.  Act and execute like someone successful and your thoughts will follow accordingly. Taking risks, solving problems, embracing failure, and most importantly, visualizing success helped me fight and captivate the subconscious monster. The initial step to this was how you perceive someone who you aspire to become on the same path. For example, in a classroom setting, an academically successful person puts an effort to minimize distraction, prioritize better visibility and audibility, and actively engage. I followed this approach. Not necessarily it helped me become the world's best student but it definitely influenced certain aspects of my academic performance. I also use this tactic in other aspects of my life, and I have noticed a positive impact. I took revenge against my own negative thinking by proactively changing my reality and shaping my thoughts as a guide.


A man who can conquer his thoughts can conquer anything.

Comments